Monday, June 23, 2008

INAT

Just to let you know I will be at the New Age International Trade Show in Denver this week, Thurs-Tues. I have no idea what this show will be like, so it's a total adventure for me. It was the Fremont Fair last weekend. There were tons of people on the streets for the parade, the highlight of which is always the nude bicylists. That's right, nude people riding bikes. That is quite a site. They paint their bodies and even glitter various and sundry parts they'd like to highlight. Thank God the Center of the Universe (Fremont) still has that goofy, crazy gig going on....gives me hope. On another completely different note Edith Blakefield died last week. You may never have heard of her, but she's a folk hero in Ballard. She lived in a tiny, tidy house all her life. One by one the houses were torn down for commercial development until she stood alone. Along comes the "big" guns and offer her 1 million dollars for her property to build a giant Trader Joes. She said no, I will stay in my house until I die. Which is just what she did. I drove by her house last night and her fence is covered with flowers and notes. You can still see her little ceramic dog collection in the window. In this day and age it's a phenomena I guess when the almighty dollar does not rule. You go Edith. God bless you.

I will have lots of fun stories I'm sure from the upcoming trade show. Whoopee. Let the fun begin. Argh.

Stay with the Love. Diane

2 comments:

Clover said...

How old was Ms. Blakefield? Any idea?

There was a house like that in our old subdivision. Except it was not tidy at ALL (i.e. broken tv sets in the weedy yard, cardboard in the windows, etc.) and there were young people there - maybe the woman's grandkids? - who were totally sketchy (like sleeping in their cars with piles of beer bottles all around...) Anyway, it always broke my heart because you could tell that people were just waiting for her to die so that they could get rid of that house. :( We drove through there a couple weeks ago and the house is gone and the lot all cleared. It made me sad.

Have fun in Denver! I can't wait to hear about it.

Coleen said...

interesting story.seems like I have heard similar ones...she sure stayed true to herself...lots of lessons to be learned from her even with her death..bet, she woulda been fun to know.....
btw, we met once at the spring Best of the Northwest Show...I was a vendor there as well,across from the tuffet lady...quite a few yrs ago...but, your art stayed in my heart...love it!!!!
Blessings,
Coleen
www.flickr.com/photos/weefae