Thursday, May 10, 2007

Some ideas about lighting

Here's some thoughts about lighting -I think most rooms are underlit. I don't have a particularly large living room, but I have about 18 sources of light in it. On one table I have four lamps, all different sizes. Most the the lighting in the room is ambient. I think the biggest mistake people make when choosing lighting is they want their ambient lighting to also be their task lighting. So by your favorite chair where you love to read get a dedicated reading light. Ambient lighting in a room will make all the difference in how you feel in that room. It will create a warm and friendly feeling. Another thing is to have different levels of lighting. Torchieres are really important to wash light up high on walls and ceilings. You can also create lifts and levels to raise up a table lamp. Just look around the room and see if the lighting is all on one level. If it is start playing around with ways to create different heights.

Also, dimmers, dimmers, dimmers.

Love,

Diane

1 comment:

Clover said...

What do you think about the new compact fluorescent bulbs? We just bougt a new energy efficient house, and every light in the place is one of these. I like the concept of going green. Hate the way it makes us look...well, green. :)

The living room space is particularly frustrating because it's long, with high ceilings and only one window. Should I mix in some table lamps with regular old lightbulbs to warm up the space?

Thanks! And I love your new site and blog. :)